Friday 27 March 2015

WIG ADVENTURES: Sharpie Dying Commission


Wahhh, I am so so sorry for not posting on schedule again! My house had no internet for the past few days and it's probably going to last for a while so if I don't update on time again, I apologize! I'm in school right now though so here's my new blog post for this week!

I've been asked how I do sharpie dying so here's a quick look on how I usually do it (again, not a tutorial I am sorry. I'll make a decent one if you're interested!). I had this commission some weeks ago for my gorgeous friend, Snow. She had a pair of synthetic extensions that she wanted to match her current hair colour which was kind of an odd Pink-Orange tone (odd but gorgeous) and I took upon the challenge to match it to the best of my abilities!



This was the original hair extensions. They weren't a platinum or light blonde, which I would suggest working with to get the most vibrant colours, but then I chose really vibrant coloured sharpies to try and get the right colour. I used:
- Pastel Pink Sharpies (4)
- Neon Orange Sharpies (4)
- Pastel Orange Sharpies (3)
- Hot Pink Sharpies (2)

I made a mixture of the pastel pink, neon orange and hot pink sharpies with rubbing alcohol. I use 70% alcohol and put it in a large tub. I usually put it in a spray bottle to dye it evenly but you can see here that I tried putting the hair extensions all into the tub.



The colour of the mixture was exactly how I wanted it but the fibers didn't absorb all the colour in one go. So, I actually dried both extensions then I put the mixture into a spray bottle and dyed it from there. This allowed he fibers to absorb more of the colour and I would suggest just sticking to the spray bottle method - but seeing the synthetic hair soak in a colourful bath is so cute.


After a lot of spraying, this is what it turned out. After spraying t with that mixture, I actually put just the pastel orange sharpies and alcohol in a spray bottle and misted the hair with one layer of the orange misted. This created the odd orange-pink tone causing it to have a two to three toned colour instead of just one. Here's a closer look at the fibers:



This project only took a day to do! And I love making custom colours, it's really really fun hehe and with the wide variety of colours that sharpies come available with, the possibilities are endless!

Thanks for tuning into this blog segment! Sorry for the delay again huhu

1 comment:

  1. I love the new color of your wig! It seems like you nailed recoloring it. This newly colored wig would surely help your cosplaying ventures. I am hoping to see lots of your photos with different costumes and different wigs. Thanks for sharing, Dinny! Have a great hair day!

    Tommy Clark @ Her Hair Company

    ReplyDelete